Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Saving Herbs

I've been wanting to post about this for a while because it is such a cool little trick (I think).  You may have already seen this since I originally saw it on a blog that one of you had listed as a favorite, but I don't remember where.  Anyway, I love using fresh herbs in my recipes--they can make such a huge difference.  This is great during the summer when I've got several varieties growing in the garden, but not so great out of season when I have to buy them at the store.  They're expensive and usually way more than I can use before they go bad.  So the cool solution I've started using is freezing my herbs.  I know this sounds like a bad idea, but it works!  I just chop up my excess herbs and stuff them in an ice cube tray, fill the voids with water and freeze.  The next day I put the herb cubes in a ziplock freezer bag and toss them back in the freezer.  Any time I need some flat leaf parsley to stir into a pasta dish, I just pull out a cube or two from the freezer, thaw it in the microwave on a paper towel and presto, instant chopped "fresh" herbs.  The photo below is the left over cilantro that I chopped up last night after making PW's fresh restaurant style salsa (try it, it's really good).  I can't wait to make it some other time and I'll be one step closer to having some fresh salsa.

6 comments:

john & natalie said...

COOL idea!

Cassidy said...

Cilantro??? (see the bag in the picture) ;)

from Tyler

Cassidy said...

Hey, where'd that new post go? I was going to comment now that I have two hands to type.

And I've been meaning to tell you that I made your pepperoni soup last week and it was delicious!

Cassidy said...

And I love your new header too.

Amy said...

Yeah, I was hoping no one would notice that I spelled cilantro wrong on the bag. :)

The Skagway post is back up. I didn't mean to post it yet because I wasn't finished and then I just decided to make two Skagway posts since I already had comments. I'm a dork!

Amy said...

Oh and thanks for noticing my new header. :)