Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ketchican

Monday, June 22, 2009 - 7:00 am

I had no idea how amazing it would be to wake up each morning and look out at a new location. And to have the new location look like this . . .

This little town is Ketchican. We arrived at port at 7 am. We had booked a shore-excursion, but had plenty of time to explore the town before then. Lots of little shops to visit along the shoreline and river.

We missed the salmon run, but had it been the right time we would have seen them jumping up this very river, running right through the shops. This is the first time I've seen a house on top of a tunnel.

This crazy lady almost made me miss our shore excursion. I fell for the sign outside the store that said "Free gem when you try on one of our rings". I know you're all saying 'Duh'!, but to my defense, I had successfully acquired two souvenir charms for my bracelet at two previous stores without any hassle. Boy, did I not know what I was getting into. She would not take no for an answer. Had I known that the free gem was PLASTIC!, I would have run for the door at the first sight of her. I'm still mad at her!

On to our "Lighthouse, Totems & Eagle Tour". We rode a little bus to the other side of Ketchican to board our boat for our tour. Our guide for this excursion was Captain Bob. He was awesome.

We putted around the bay looking for eagles and their nests while munching on crackers and salmon dip, yum. I'll spare you the pictures of ALL the pin-sized eagles that we saw (I have better ones for later).

Here are some of the totem poles. The second picture is of the Totem Bight State Park.


Guard Island Lighthouse.

And Alaska's only floating town. I think it has seen better days.

When we got back to the ship we got to see a bunch of sea planes land and take off right in front of us. So cool.

If you look closely, behind the planes, that flat surface is the Ketchican Airport. It's on an island across the bay. That's where the "Bridge to Nowhere" was supposed to go. The airport and a couple of houses are pretty much all that's on that island. Now that name makes sense. "Thanks, but no thanks." :)

Next stop, Juneau.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never wanted to go to alaska, but after seeing your pictures - I kind of do! I'm glad you had so much fun!

john & natalie said...

I have to try to think about what that place must look like in the winter to keep from wanting to move there...beautiful!