I picked this batch of strawberries yesterday after work. I went out while there was a small break in all the rain we've been having, and low and behold there were lots of red strawberries ready to be picked. I can't believe they are even ripening with all the cool, cloudy, rainy weather we've been having lately. I wish the garden would still grow without sunshine and warmth. Oh, well.
This year the strawberries are so much bigger than last year. I'm not sure why but I think they are amazing. Last year all of them were about the size of an almond (and shaped that way too), kind of like the little guy in the bottom right of the photo. They still tasted good but it took a lot of them to fill up a bowl. There were a few large, normal shaped ones but most of them fell prey to the nasty birds. I love the birds but not when they poop on everything or eat the strawberries. Especially because they usually don't eat the whole strawberry, just peck at it and make it unappetizing to humans. Anyway, the strawberries were so much bigger and pretty shaped this year, I had to share them with you. I hurried and took this picture (and showed Matt) before I ate the big ones. They are hard to not eat as you pick them because they are so sweet and juicy right off the vine. Yum!
3 comments:
Pretty strawberries! Gardening / growing my own lil' victory garden is one of my 'to - do's ' that very well may never happen. Kudos to you for actually getting it done! :)
As far as eating them, I follow a general rule in the kitchen, it's: one for the recipe, one for me. :)
I use the one to one rule too. Except it is one for Lincoln, one for the recipe, and then Lincoln eats the one for me too.
I am so excited to come to visit and get to have a whole new growing season! Strawberries end here in April!
Yum. I have been buying strawberries like crazy lately! And I've dipped some of them in chocolate...so good!
Post a Comment